Friday, February 11, 2011

bread and pickles


Do you recall all the hype about the no-knead bread recipe that ran in the New York Times, a while ago? Recently, a friend said you "need to make this bread!" It was not the first time I had heard this about this recipe in particular. After sampling a piece of hers, I could not believe what had taken me so long to follow others advice. Not only is the bread delicious. It is effortless. 

It is my new all-purpose bread recipe. I use half white and half whole wheat bread flour; which was grown just a couple towns south of where I live. I have even doubled the recipe and made one big loaf.  It is a great accompaniment to a pot of soup  or topped with roasted garlic hummus and cheese. 






Above are he most delicious bread and butter pickles I have ever had. I made them this summer for my plentiful crop of cucumbers.  I followed a recipe I had found in one of my grandmothers old cookbooks. An index card with my grandmothers handwriting. As I was pickling I could not help but imagen her following this recepes decades earlier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment